Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

How NOT to make cake pops

I mentioned in my Valentine's post that I attempted to make cake pops on my own. I was so excited about making these cute little cake balls. I even talked about selling them with my husband. Hah. That is funny.

I did learn how NOT to make cake balls, but I am not too sure I am going to try again.

First of all, these tasty snacks take a really long time to make. I may have mentioned before I am impatient. I am not talking a little impatient either. My bunting tutorial was full of shortcuts. I like to half ass a lot of things. Luckily, the bunting was a success. I can't say the same about my baking skills.

  1. The fist step is basic enough. Bake a cake. I probably should have stopped here and slapped on the icing.
  2. After the cake is baked, make sure it cools. I actually did this. I baked the cake the night before and was just too tired to continue the process, so I put the rest of the steps on hold until the next day.
  3. Crumble the cake until there are no big chunks. I think I did okay on this too. Sure there may have been a few bigger size crumbs but looks good, right?
  4. Here is where I think I made my first mistake. Do not skip on icing in attempt to save on calories. These cake balls are full of calories, so extra really don't matter. I thought half the can of icing would be enough to make the cake crumbs sticky enough to make balls. Mine ended up with cracks. Not cool!
  5. Also, do not listen to your husband when he says to make giant cake balls. You should probably stick with the normal ping pong size pops. Mine ended up too heavy and a few fell off the sticks. Again not cool!
  6. Don't let your chocolate burn. I was feeding Mila lunch and melting chocolate at the same time. It is probably best to do all baking while your toddler is asleep. Determined to finish, I added ez thin dipping aid, but the damage was already done. My candy ended up clumpy.
  7.  Make sure you have enough chocolate dip for your pops. I ran out halfway through and was not about to open up another bag.
There you have it, my failed attempt at making cake pops. I am glad Mila and the husband liked them anyway. They ate them up.

2 comments:

  1. You had the opposite problem I had the first time I made them - I used too much icing and they wouldn't stay on the sticks at all! Too much moisture I guess! I agree with you - they aren't nearly as fun to make as you would think! Of course all that matters is Mila liked them so it's a win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookie pops!!! Just plot a stick in the cookie, on the cookie sheet when it comes out of the oven! Ta-Da! Fake it til' ya make it!

    ReplyDelete